Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Port Pillows

After witnessing friends and family members battle cancer, I have been trying to think of a way to help others that are suffering from this terrible disease. As a quilter I find that I have an unhealthy stash of fabric that I rarely touch and think it is such a shame that the fabric was going unused. I'm constantly is awe of the awesome quilts that others pull together from their fabric stash, but my type A personality makes it very difficult to repurpose the fabric with scraps from collections that I wouldn't intentionally pair together. I know. I just need to get over it. In the meantime, I'm sewing port pillows for folks have ports for chemo treatments. The idea is that the port can create discomfort especially in cars when you wear a seatbelt, especially for breast cancer patients where their ports are typically along the seatbelt line. The pillow is velcroed over the seatbelt and creates a comfortable cushion to help ease the tension and therefore source of pain around the port site. I distributed my first batch today at a cancer support group. The reaction was inspiring and I am just so happy to help ease even a small amount of pain for those in the room and their friends also going through treatment. In case you want to make your own, I made mine from 5" squares (extra charm pack or layer cake squares are perfect!!), a 5" strip of Velcro, and a bit of polyester fill. A picture of the pillows is attached.
http://myfabricfriend.blogspot.com/

Pin It

2 comments:

  1. how thoughtful! i had tubes hanging out of me 8 years ago ... had to take a hundred and twenty mile ride home the day after - a little pillow would have been helpful. i'm sure they will be appreciated.

    p.s. thanx for being my follower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rita - I am so sorry to hear about what you went through. It is pretty amazing how much a little pillow can improve the quality of life. I hope you are doing well now. Thank you for the comment! Karolyn

      Delete